Forumnyheter:

SMF - Just uppdaterat!

AAR Smolensk, OCS

Startat av sfclinken, 6 september 2018 kl. 10:13:07

Föregående ämne - Nästa ämne

0 Medlemmar och 1 Gäst tittar på detta ämne.

sfclinken

Wish I had anything other than "Paint" to do these pictures with...

8th July - 9 September 1941.

This report will be written in English.

Below is an overview of the initial situation. Red line is roughly the front when the campaign starts. There are 3 important cities (yellow stars) just behind the front. In the north Vitebsk, in the center Orsha and south is Mogilev. THese are all three important railroad junctions (supply sources). The main railroad runs in the center of the map from Orsha via Smolensk and Vyazma to Moscow. This is the main supply route. Several smaller rail roads can be found also connecting various smaller towns and villages. The river Dnepr offers a barrier for the Germans and needs to be overcome quickly. Guderians 2nd Panzer Gruppe und Hoths 3rd Panzer Gruppe have 12 Pnazer and Motorized Divisions at their disposal from the start of the campaign. They also need to keep to their respective PzGruppe and cannot stray of their "PzG line" which runs roughly along the Dnepr and the main railroad east from Orsha-Smolensk-Vyazma.

Hoths initial plan is to take and secure Vitebsk and then quickly strike deep to the east and try to cut the railroad east of Smolensk before the soviets have time to fortify their positions.
Guderian will take Mogilev and/or Bykhov (small village south of Mogilev with a bridge across Dnepr). Then cross the Dnepr and strike east and cut Smolensk from supplies coming in from the southern parts of the map.

Adding friction...this will likely change as we progress...

GMY Peter

"Though I fly through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no Evil for I am at 80 000 feet and climbing...  www.sleddriver.com "

sfclinken

8th July after the initial German advance.

German airstrikes was a total failure and I had to use artillery to disorganize some of the important targets.

Mogilev (south)

Orsha (center) Not much action here yet.

Vitebsk (north)

GMY Peter

"Though I fly through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no Evil for I am at 80 000 feet and climbing...  www.sleddriver.com "

sfclinken

End of 8 July

Mogilev. Successfull attacks means that bridgeheads at Dnepr are established both at Mogilev and Bykhov. Orsha is so far left alone. As mentioned earlier my air strikes had extremely limited effect. The Soviets had same (un)luck and the airwar is so far indecisive.

Vitebsk. The southern parts of the city falls initially and after exploiting into the northern part the whole city is in German hands. Soviet limited counterattacks disorganize some of my troops.

GMY Peter

sfclinken

12th July 1941

Panzergruppe Guderian

17th and 18th Pz Division dashes east from their bridgeheads with the goal to cut the railroad Roslavl-Smolensk. Rear area is secured by other units. 24th Motorised Inf Div is attacked just south of Orsha while holding a pontoon bridge across Dnepr. But the Soviets have neither air support or artillery in the area and are repulsed. The evacuation of Orsha begins but German trainbusting harrassing the route east slows the withdrawal.

Panzergruppe Hoth

Main plan was to head straight east from Vitebsk towards Velizh but 12th Pz Div bumped into heavy resistance so 7th and 20th Pz Div quickly turned southeast instead, aggressively forcing a crossing of the Dvina at Rudnya.

Air war

Luftwaffe sweeps the skies from their new bases at Mogilev and Vitebsk. Soviet fighters takes heavy losses. Soviet bombers are ineffective due to LW patrol zones and are bound to Trainbusting and harassing the German advance routes.
GMY Peter

sfclinken

15th July 1941

Germans won initiative and let the Soviets move first. Important to move last in the turn I thought it better to give away a flip flop now rather than later when we stand face to face. Most of my units are still out of reach from his heavy tank divisions. Overview of the situation before German Exploitation. Supply is difficult and I am operating on the far reach and even beyond what I can reach. Next turn I will be able to start converting railroad and start using the railroads as supply. Soviet troops in the Orsha-Smolensk area is falling back best they can along the main road while my Panzers are speeding east on their flanks.

GMY Peter

sfclinken

15th July 1941, End of turn.

Panzergruppe Guderian has 3 Pz Divisions now across the Sozh river south of Smolensk. Only thing stopping them from advancing further and attacking the Soviet Tank Divisions close is lack of supply. What is available is needed for fuel and defensive fire. An attack on the village of Krichev by 3. Pz Div in the south is repulsed but soviets taking severe losses.

Panzergruppe Hoth, after changing attack plan now has encircled Velizh with its 19th and 22nd Army HQ cut of from supply.

When 19th starts I win initiative. Go first or second?...And I need to close the pocket....
GMY Peter

sfclinken

19th July 1941, end German turn

Winning the initiative I decide to move first.

Panzergruppe Hoth moves south and slashes into the retreating soviet columns. 7th Pz, 20th Pz and 20th Mot Div cuts Smolensk of and creates several smaller pockets of soviet troops. 12th Pz Div keeps pushing into the woods NE Velizh and Demidov. Newly arrived 18th Mot and 19th Pz hastily advances to support the effort. Luftwaffe perform trainbusting missions (harrassing bombardment) on the likely route of advance for Soviet reinforcements coming in from the east.

Panzergruppe Guderian takes Pochinok south of Smolensk and rolls as far east as Yelnya with SS Das Reich. Deep in enemy territory. 3rd Panzer takes Krichev but is hit hard by soviet artillery groupd south of the village taking out a battalion of Kettenrads.

Orsha

With German infantry divisions finally in position for attack and artillery ammunition supplied Orsha cannot hold out. 258th and 268th INF Div supported by StuGs and artillery sliced through the outer defenses and then into the city it self.

Soviet actions:Not much to say. Not much so far that the Soviets have been able to do to hinder my advance. He needs to open up the route to Smolensk and Orsha or starve now. THat will be VERY difficult to do both. I think.
GMY Peter