Forumnyheter:

SMF - Just uppdaterat!

Deadly northern light

Startat av jerry, 2 oktober 2019 kl. 12:00:17

Föregående ämne - Nästa ämne

0 Medlemmar och 2 Gäster tittar på detta ämne.

Wes

Funny that you discus Bohuslän that feels like one of the last hexes you would get to in the game. ( ok, the oil would get into Sweden there)

Fabrizio, even the Russians got their invasion maps wrong of Sweden  :D https://www.svd.se/kalla-kriget-sa-skulle-sovjet-invadera-sverige

Wes

Ohh yeah... shouldn't the biggest complaint of the map be that it's missing Russia up to Moscow for the counter offensive.  8)

aegneus

All games releases plan for expansions these days

aegneus

Citat från: Wes skrivet 10 maj 2020 kl. 00:06:40
Funny that you discus Bohuslän that feels like one of the last hexes you would get to in the game.

I did point that out as well in my post starting this  :P. It is part of the fun that the terrain type is wrong in a spot that should never matter.

fvianello

Citat från: Elias Nordling skrivet  9 maj 2020 kl. 21:45:35
I could explain the code in a paragraph witv my system.

Me too....and as I said in my first post, that's exactly what I wished to avoid: additional rules and exceptions :)
Also, no matter how many explanations you give the Swedish mobilization brigade counters would be different from everything else.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the info on the right part of the counter would be longer than the standard, forcing a reformatting of the scenario booklets in order to make them fit into the last column of the reinforcements table. Also, the 1.2mm margin on counters' edge is probably broken too, so you'll have a lot of swedish counters with critical info cut out.  Could use a smaller font, but you'll need a magnifying glass.

EvilSpook

Citat från: fvianello skrivet  9 maj 2020 kl. 20:23:51
As for the brigades designation, I've prepared alternate counters having the mobilized brigades historical designations and not the ridiculous numbering used only to simplify the life of the designer :D
I've made them quickly so it's possible there's some error! Of course, mobilized brigades have now no reference to their cadre regiment, so you'll have to know which one is what. 

This is great! I also noticed the MAD-links/documents  so now I need bigger tables to play on.   :shock:

Now please add the following as well.
- Swedish/Finnish wartime basing
- Underground command/storage facilities
- The mobility dilemma with Tanks/APC vs. supply in arctic conditions.
- Swedish local defense forces (and hidden non-decomissioned brigades)
- Spärrbattaljoner (Coastal, controlled mines) and mobile coastal defense.
- Divisional (Fördelnings) forces and their command
- Finnish split between Koivisto and the military.
- Danish and Norwegian Snowcat reserves.
- Special aggression rules for the Finnmark area
- Soviets using Finland as hostage towards Sweden.
- The different approaches to fortification along River Kalix, River Lule and the Lyngen fortresses
- Rules for NATO defense of the Swedish triangle area 
- West German submarine basing on Swedish territory
- Nordic political balance and nuclear weapons
- Swedish LORAN/CHAYKA jamming
- Stay behind / Gladio 
- Fria kriget (overrun units reverting to partisan warfare)
- Swedish stocks of Draken-planes for Finland
- Arctic civilians/hunters/snipers

I might have missed something. :D

Thanks!
//EvilSpook

fvianello

Citat från: EvilSpook skrivet 10 maj 2020 kl. 11:30:28
As for the brigades designation, I've prepared alternate counters having the mobilized brigades historical designations and not the ridiculous numbering used only to simplify the life of the designer :D
I've made them quickly so it's possible there's some error! Of course, mobilized brigades have now no reference to their cadre regiment, so you'll have to know which one is what. 

This is great! I also noticed the MAD-links/documents  so now I need bigger tables to play on.   :shock:

Now please add the following as well.
- Swedish/Finnish wartime basing
- Underground command/storage facilities
- The mobility dilemma with Tanks/APC vs. supply in arctic conditions.
- Swedish local defense forces (and hidden non-decomissioned brigades)
- Spärrbattaljoner (Coastal, controlled mines) and mobile coastal defense.
- Divisional (Fördelnings) forces and their command
- Finnish split between Koivisto and the military.
- Danish and Norwegian Snowcat reserves.
- Special aggression rules for the Finnmark area
- Soviets using Finland as hostage towards Sweden.
- The different approaches to fortification along River Kalix, River Lule and the Lyngen fortresses
- Rules for NATO defense of the Swedish triangle area 
- West German submarine basing on Swedish territory
- Nordic political balance and nuclear weapons
- Swedish LORAN/CHAYKA jamming
- Stay behind / Gladio 
- Fria kriget (overrun units reverting to partisan warfare)
- Swedish stocks of Draken-planes for Finland
- Arctic civilians/hunters/snipers

I might have missed something. :D

Thanks!
//EvilSpook

EvilSpook, exactly :D
Actually, several things you've cited have been evaluated and then discarded.

Thomas Bergman

atomic

Hi again and thanks Elias for your softer approach.

Individual ships are individually named (in Sweden case, Stockholm and Malmo frigates of Stockholm class). The other naval counters represent a group of 2 - 4 vessels so giving individual names is simply not possible.

Regarding missing ports, wrong terrain and similar I can only answer once again as I already did: Ports need a certain capacity, so small ports or even ports not having certain characteristics are left out.  Airfields are simply too many, and those on map could actually represents a group of 2 or 3 near airfields. Terrain must take into account different characteristics, and BTW there's no "forest" terrain in 1985.  Roads must be BIG and MANY to be represented in a hex on this level, and in several cases hexes that should have been "rough 1" have been upgraded to "clear" due to the presence of roads.

With this, I'm not implying the map is perfect and has no errors, but only that simplification and abstraction should always be taken into account when developing or studying a game at this scale.

Alternate Swedish units v1, Front:
http://trlgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/SW_AlternateDesignations_F_v1.png

Alternate Swedish units v1, Rear:
http://trlgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/SW_AlternateDesignations_R_v1.png

Thanks for for effort! I agree that Elias softer approach as you put it is nicer.

So, to my point. I may very well be mistaken but I just can't seem to find NB35 (Norrlandsbrigad that was set up from I5 in Östersund). I think it's the one you have indicated as NB51. As far as I recollect, we were called NB35 and were the most northern of all Norrlands brigades with initial location north of Gällivare.

/asad - NBPv I19/P5 (NB35)
Asad Rustum

aegneus

Citat från: fvianello skrivet 10 maj 2020 kl. 11:49:18
EvilSpook, exactly :D
Actually, several things you've cited have been evaluated and then discarded.

You mean "saved for the expansion"  :)

EvilSpook

Citat från: aegneus skrivet 10 maj 2020 kl. 16:03:30

Please reserve a copy of the expansion "Even deadlier Aurora Borealis" for me.  :up:

//EvilSpook

fvianello

Citera
Thanks for for effort! I agree that Elias softer approach as you put it is nicer.

So, to my point. I may very well be mistaken but I just can't seem to find NB35 (Norrlandsbrigad that was set up from I5 in Östersund). I think it's the one you have indicated as NB51. As far as I recollect, we were called NB35 and were the most northern of all Norrlands brigades with initial location north of Gällivare.

/asad - NBPv I19/P5 (NB35)

All I remember is that we had some doubts on the wartime capabilities of I5 in 1985 but I could be wrong.....NB35 was in one of the first OOBs but disappeared from subsequent versions.
Anyway, as this is an alternate and not official OOB here's version 2, which includes NB35 :)

Swedish Alternate OOB v2 - Front:
http://trlgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/SW_AlternateDesignations_F_v2.png

Swedish Alternate OOB v2 - Rear:
http://trlgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/SW_AlternateDesignations_R_v2.png

(previous version 1 has been removed)

Mimer

Citat från: EvilSpook skrivet 10 maj 2020 kl. 17:15:17
Citat från: aegneus skrivet 10 maj 2020 kl. 16:03:30

Please reserve a copy of the expansion "Even deadlier Aurora Borealis" for me.  :up:

//EvilSpook

Countdown until Simpsons reference? Or did they wear that out during playtesting? :)

EvilSpook

As soon as anyone suggests anything ambitious and wonderful, Fabrizio already has it up his sleeves and you can reserve a copy anywhere on the internet.
Det är sen gammalt!  :up:

//EvilSpook