Forumnyheter:

SMF - Just uppdaterat!

Dogs of War

Startat av EvilSpook, 18 maj 2020 kl. 10:25:20

Föregående ämne - Nästa ämne

0 Medlemmar och 2 Gäster tittar på detta ämne.

fvianello

Great AAR Elias! I'm going to post it on the official FB page :)

Elias Nordling

Scenario 2, end of Pact turn 1:
In this scenario, the Pact has a mechanized paratroop division that have the job of securing and holding a bridge until relieved. As the Pact player, you get to choose which bridge(s) to try to capture. Or even which river. If you try to capture bridges across the Leine, the scenario ends earlier (relief comes earlier) but you get fewer points.
The Pact opts for total victory this time. In the initial drop, two bridges are secured together with the city of Hameln. Only minor losses are suffered in the drop.
One slight problem with holding two bridges is that the Pact only has three combat units. One of the bridges are held by artillery that won't be able to put up much of a fight if tanks come their way.

"Your value to me as a tester is your vandal instinct at breaking games!"

Elias Nordling

Scenario 2 end of turn 1
Nato elects to not attack the first turn as the differential wouldn't have been very good. Instead they set up and prepare. They also move to cross the Weser upstream to get at the Soviet Artillery. They also choose to not issue any orders since the parent HQ is not on the map yet.

Elias Nordling

Scenario 2, end of turn 2. Nato attempts a risky attack to take advantage of the fact that the Pact artillery is still not deployed to fire. The base differential is just 0, but they do have a significant electronic warfare and support advantage. The rolls are bad, however, only shifting the column to +2. They do roll 10 on the attack, making up for it.
Since the defenders have to hold in place, they are now engaged, and with a cohesion hit and engaged, a second attack manages +3 without any kind of support, except the electronic warfare. This attack causes one hit each. In all, a fairly good start to the counterattack.
Speaking of artillery, it doesn't look like the Soviet artillery park is going to be in a rear area for much longer...

Elias Nordling

Scenario 2, end of turn 3
A Spetsnaz raid takes out the Bde HQ of 20 Arm Bde. This will give the Soviets some breathing room as all units of this brigade are out of command until the HQ is reconstructed. Meanwhile, 104 G prepares to make a rigid defense. The loss of command points also means the Brits can't currently order any units into assault posture.
Nato arty resupply roll fails.
There is one unit of 11 Arm able to attack, but with rigid defense, even with the transition mod, the attack becomes -2. They decide to risk it.
Bad EW and support rolls leave the column at -2, and a disaster is only averted by a strong showing of the attacking Bn (0/0 on a roll of 8).
The British close in on the artillery. They elect not to attack them this turn, as the base chance is +0, and the odds will only get better with time.

Elias Nordling

Scenario 2 end of turn 4
A barrage against the dismounted artillery followed by a mechanized assault supported by artillery and helicopters quickly collapse the defending artillery position. The remaining self-propelled artillery retreat into Hameln. The Pact now only hold the Hameln bridge, and the Pact 234G Regiment is of little use in the continued fighting, as it has no way of reaching Hameln. Feeling that time is now on their side, the British hold off from attacking the Hameln bridge position this turn.

Elias Nordling

Scenario 2, End of Turn 5
The Soviet 234G Regiment abandons its bridgehead to try to achieve something, but gets entangled in enemy formations. Meanwhile, the British attack on the Hameln bridge starts in earnest. A +2 attack is massively shifted by artillery and helicopter support and electronic warfare, and further, the attack rolls a 10, causing 2 hits on the defending unit. Now with 4 hits and an engaged marker, the defender cannot hold against a hasty follow up-attack by the same attacker. The remnants of 104G Regiment surrenders.
This effectively ends the scenario with a Nato victory. In theory, the Soviets can recapture a bridge, but without supporting artillery, the odds are dimunitive.

aegneus

A very focused scenario and it made me realize something: any game with rivers on hex sides and paratroopers really need rules for putting a unit astride a river crossing, or some sort of bridgehead rules at a minimum. Can't  think of a game that allows units to be in two hexes like this - at least until attacked - anyone with examples?